View from the deck on a glorious morning in early June.

Thursday, January 21, 2016

MOAR grow lights!

The Indoor Garden contraption that I first saw on Lee Valley has been on my wish list for some time. I finally treated myself to it. I have grow lights for starting bedding plants, these are extra and will serve for microgreens.  With shipping and taxes included I paid almost $180. A tub full of California spring mix is around $6. You do the math. 
However, apart from the question how much longer we can count on California, and considerations of carbon footprints and all that, I need the therapy. Life has been somewhat challenging lately.


The words "assembly required" inspired some dread, but assembly was duly provided. By your's truly. If grandma Moses could start painting after 70 it may not be too late for me to become a handywoman.

One thing I did right last fall was preparing for an early start in spring. Starter trays and pots, pails of fresh potting mix as well as a batch of Super COF are standing by on the deck. It is a mess but it is there. 

Behold my new toy! Filled with COF enriched potting mix, capillary mat functioning beautifully, planted with mesclun mix, arugula and baby spinach. Let the growing therapy begin.




2 comments:

  1. So glad you "splurged"! We need to treat ourselves--especially since, ahem, we are entering the later stages of life. Can't take it with us, and heck, don't we deserve the niceties now more than ever???
    I hope you have a lot of fun with your new set-up. Looks great.
    (as for the deck---well, my ENTRY HALL is where my potting mix, extra trays, and pots waiting to be filled are. Guess the guests know where my heart is!!)
    Happy gardening

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Leeks will be started as soon as the seeds arrive, and I still have garden vegs in the freezer. This is turning into almost year-round...

      Delete

Welcome guest! Commenting is free, not moderated, and I got rid of the captcha. If you were here, give me a wave.